Home >> Airframe-Powerplant Schools >> Florida
Below is a list of Airframe/Powerplant Mechanic Schools in your state:

You can attend one of the 170 FAR part 147 Aviation Maintenance Technician Schools nationwide. These schools offer training for one or both (Airframe and/or Powerplant), mechanic's certificates. Many of these schools offer avionics courses that cover electronics and instrumentation. also.

What does FAA certification of an aviation maintenance technician school mean?
Certification indicates the school meets the requirements of part 147, subpart B, Certification Requirements, for the ratings issued. FAA certification does not necessarily mean universities will extend college credit nor does it indicate approval by other states or federal agencies.

Some schools offer a diploma and others may requires that you already have a high school diploma or a General Education Diploma (GED) to apply. The courses typically last from 12 month to 24 months, which is less than required by FAA for on-the-job training. After you graduate, you will be qualified to take the required FAA's written, oral, and practical exams.

According to the FAA, graduates often get higher starting salaries than individuals who got their required experience in one of the other two ways.

Directory of Airframe and Powerplant Schools in Florida:
BLDG. 99


3275 NW 42 AVE
MIAMI FL 33142





Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs), listed on the FAA's aviation mechanic website:
What is a mechanic job like?
You work in hangars, out on the field on the "flight lines" where aircraft park, or in repair stations. You use hand and power tools as well as sophisticated test equipment. Maintenance is performed around the clock, seven days a week. New mechanics and technicians should expect to work nights and weekends. The noise level both indoors and on the flight line could be very high. Sometimes your work requires physical activity, from climbing ladders to crawling under deadline to make sure an airplane was ready to fly a scheduled flight.
Do I need a license to be an aircraft mechanic?
Not necessarily. However, if you don't have a mechanic's certificate from FAA, you can work only when supervised by someone who does have a certificate. You could not approve equipment for return to service. Without a certificate, you are less likely to advance to the top of the career field.

The FAA issues mechanics and repairman certificates. Mechanics can get either an airframe certificate or a power plant certificate--most mechanics get both. Repairman get certificates to perform only one or two specific tasks, and they must be supervised by FAA-approved Repair Stations, commercial operators, or air carriers where these specific tasks are done daily.

Do I need any experience to become a certified mechanic?
Yes. You can get the required experience through civilian or military on-the-job training, or by attending a special school for aircraft mechanics. Learn More about Experience Requirements
Do I have to take any tests to become a certified mechanic?
Yes. You have to take both oral and practical tests. There is a fee for the test. The oral and practical tests cover 43 technical subjects. Typically tests for one certificate--airframe or power plant--takes about 8 hours.
Do I need any other certificate to work on avionics equipment?
If you have an airframe certificate you don't need any other certificate, but you must be properly trained and qualified and have the proper tools and equipment. You can even work on avionics equipment without a certificate if you have avionics repair experience from the military or from working for avionics manufacturers and related industries.

How do I get a repairman's certificate?
To get a repairman's certificate, you must be recommended by a repair station, commercial operator, or air carrier. You must

be at least 18 years old;
be able to read, write, speak, and understand English
be qualified to perform maintenance on aircraft or components
be employed or a specific job requiring special qualifications by an FAA-certified Repair Station, commercial operator, or air carrier.
be recommended for the repairman certificate by your employer
have either 18 months practical experience in the specific job or complete a formal training course acceptable to FAA.


Where Do I Begin?
The first question you need to have answered is am I eligible to take the Airframe & Powerplant oral and practical exam. You can get the experience you need to become a certified power plant or airframe mechanic in one of three ways.

Eligibility Requirements:

Applicants pursuing an Airframe or Powerplant license must meet the requirements within FAR 65.71-65.77
You must be at least 18 years of age;
You must be able to read, write, speak and understand the English language;
You must have the required experience from one of the three areas below;

1 - Civilian Experience:
You can work at an FAA Repair Station or FBO under the supervision of a certified mechanic for 18 months for each certificate, or 30 months combined for both the Airframe and Powerplant certificates. You must document your experience with pay receipts, a log book signed by your supervising mechanic, a notarized statement from your employer, or other proof you worked the required time.

If you meet (or are close to) the above experience requirements,
follow the steps below:

OR, you can learn about
FAA-Approved Airframe / Powerplant Schools in your State

2 - Military Experience:
You can join one of the armed services and get training and experience in aircraft maintenance. Make sure you are in a military occupational specialty for which FAA gives credit. You can get a current list of acceptable specialties from the local FAA Flight Standards District Office (FSDO).

View Military Occupation Codes

If you meet (or are close to) the above experience requirements,
follow the steps below:

OR, you can learn about
FAA-Approved Airframe / Powerplant Schools in your State

3 - Graduate of an FAA approved Mechanic School:
As an alternative to these experience requirements, you can graduate from an FAA-Approved Aviation Maintenance Technician School.

If you do not have the required Civilian or Military experience, there are a number of FAA approved schools (known as Part 147 schools).

Graduates are authorized to test for Airframe & Powerplant Licenses.

Learn about
FAA-Approved Airframe / Powerplant Schools in your State

I have the Civilian or Military experience Requirements, what do I do next?
To become an aircraft mechanic, you must take oral and practical tests as well as written tests. With both types of on-the-job training you should set aside additional study time to prepare for the written and oral/practical tests. The FAA will give you credit for your practical experience only after review of your paperwork and an interview with an FAA Airworthiness inspector.

Follow the steps outlined below:
Have documentation proving your military or civilian experience:

You will need documentation from past and/or current Airframe and Powerplant mechanic(s) explaining the type and duration of the maintenance that you performed. This should state, in detail, what aircraft and/or powerplants you have worked on, what tasks you performed and how long you did these tasks. These must be signed by a shop supervisor or an A&P mechanic and submitted to the FAA.

You may have multiple letters but they must total 30 months experience for both Airframe and Powerplant OR 18 months for each.

International applicants must also obtain a letter or stamp from the civil aviation authority within their country attesting for the letter from their employers.
Obtain FAA approval:
  Once you have the paperwork you need, you must schedule an appointment with an FAA maintenance inspector at your local Flight Standards District Office (FSDO). Locate a FSDO After an inspector authorizes you to test, they will issue you 2 copies of the 8610-2, Airman Certification and/or Rating Application Form.
Pass the required FAA knowledge tests - Airframe, Powerplant & General:

To apply to take the written test, you must present your proof of experience to an FAA inspector at the local FAA office (described above). There are separate tests for airframe and power plant mechanic certificates, as well as a general test covering both. If the inspector decides you meet the requirements to take one of the tests, you may make an appointment for testing at one of the many computer testing facilities world-wide (PDF). Also, you can get a list of sample general, airframe, and power plant test questions, and copy of FAA testing supplements.

Depending on whether you would like to obtain your Airframe, Powerplant, or Airframe and Powerplant combined, you will need to achieve a score of at least 70% on the General, Airframe, and Powerplant knowledge tests.

Schedule the required Oral and Practical Exams:

After you have passed the required knowledge tests, you must contact an FAA Designated Mechanic Examiner (DME), and schedule your Oral & Practical exam. Your local FSDO can help you obtain a list of Designated Mechanic Examiners.

The oral and practical tests cover 43 technical subjects. Typically tests for one certificate--airframe or power plant--takes about 8 hours. If you fail part of a test, you have to wait 30 days before you can take it again, unless you give a letter to the Examiner showing you've gotten additional training in the areas you failed.

After you have successfully completed your oral and practical exam, you will be issued a temporary license that is valid for 120 days, while the FAA processes your paperwork.

List of FAA Mechanic Examiners


Directory - of Airframe and Powerplant Schools By State

Non-US citizens interested in becoming a mechanic:
You must demonstrate that you need a mechanic certificate to maintain U.S.-registered civil aircraft and you are neither a U.S. citizen nor a resident alien.
Show the examiner your passport.
Provide a detailed statement from your employer saying what specific types of maintenance you preformed on each aircraft, and how long you performed it.
Provide a lette from the foreign airworthiness authority of the country in which you got your experience, or from an advisor of the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO), validating your maintenance experience.
Make sure all the documents you provide are signed and dated originals.
Pay the fee for the document review.

What if I can't meet the English language requirements?
We may waive the language requirement if you live outside the United States. We would stamp your certificate "Valid only outside of the U.S."